Cypress Village HOA Forum Index Cypress Village HOA
A forum for our community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Board of Directors - makeup and scope

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cypress Village HOA Forum Index -> Suggestions & Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Standridges

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Board of Directors - makeup and scope Reply with quote

I just re-read my deed restrictions hoping it would shed some light into how our HOA board is elected and structured. Perhaps I have missed it again...I hope you all can shed some light on this issue and clarify this for me.

At our last meeting we elected three members at large to fill seats on the board. Since these were at large elections (not electing a person to a specific seat), how is/was it determined who the president of the board (and all other offices, if they exist) would be?

How was it determined that the board would be a five (5) member panel? In my past experience (albeit limited) the authority of each board member was much more diluted in relation to the number of homeowners (ratio of board members to home owners).

I hesitated to ask this..for fear of sounding like sour grapes, but I am just curious honestly. It just seems to me that we are a sizable community, and are asking a few individuals on our board to address and represent a large number of homeowners. It was stated at the meeting (by more than one board member) just how much time each member devotes on our behalf, taking away from their families, careers, etc. I really appreciate their willingness to step up and do this on our behalf. I believe that the majority of our residents wouldn't do it if asked.

If however, the board can be expanded, it would seem that each individuals duties could be distributed as to not be such a heavy burden. Additionally, I belive that the more individuals we can get involved, the more representative this board becomes, and isn't that the true purpose, to represent the best interests of the home owners?

I don't know if this is advisable, possible, nor where the current structure of the board originated, thats why I am here asking. I would like more facts if they are available, as well as the opinion of other home owners regarding this issue.
Standridges

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was it determined that our board would be elected to a two year term?
ChadHammons
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, let me say, that our articles of incorporation, bylaws, and deed restrictions, were all copied from existing HOAs. They are put together by the developer. Since they technically own all the land before houses are built, they can decide however they want to structure things. These documents aren't made up from scratch, though... Numerous HOAs use this exact same structure successfully.

So, I hope that helps answer things about term limits, structure, etc.

As far as president/vice-president/etc... it doesn't really matter. There is nothing outlined in the documents, so it's internal to the board. The president does not receive any special voting privileges, so it's just a title. That's how we treat it, anyway. Similarly, the treasurer, by definition, may be responsible for the financials, but every single person on the board reviews the financials. Five sets of eyes are better than one.

As far as number of people, again, it was set by the developer. But, consider this... We only have 250 properties. That's 50 per board member. That's not a lot. Compare that to some of the subdivisions in league city that have 250-300 or more properties per board member. I think 5 is the right number for us. Much more, and discussions and votes on everyday topics would be rediculously difficult. Five is enough such that we get a variety of ideas without being locked in seven different directions when it comes to voting.

More people can get involved than just board members! That's the whole point of committees. Please (PLEASE!) remember that you do NOT need to be a board member to be active in our community and help the board on just about anything! We would love for people to help out with things like the social planning, yard of the month, speed limit changes, neighborhood watch... you name it.

The goal is not to get more board members... it's to get more involvement. We don't need more chiefs, we need more indians! (Is that politically correct to say these days?)

The board is just the official decision maker, basically. As has happened all years since I've been here, at the meeting, people get fired up, and want to change our whole subdivision, and after a while, kinda dwindle out. The board is here to pick up all the tasks that are necessary and keep them moving. I would love it if people kept up the enthusiam and helped us out throughout the year.

What do you want to help with?
Standridges

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad, Thank you for the information....more than anything I want to understand why we are structured as we are, and how we came to be that way. I really appreciate the information you have provided. Are a copy of the bylaws you referenced available, and how could i go about getting a copy of those? I didn't see any reference to the structure or composition in the deed restrictions. Honestly I am just looking to inform myself.

Regarding the number of board members....I don't know what the right answer is. Nor did I mean to profess that I had the solution to all of our problems. I thank you for the information about how some of the subdivisions in League City are represented by their boards, and while I appreciate the information, I do not hold League City in such high regard that I would assume that their way is the right one without examining the situation myself.

Regarding the committees...I have yet to see any information regarding what committes are being organized nor their purpose. Have I simply missed where that information is posted? I personally shook your hand and offered my assistance in any projects that I am needed.

I would like to express to you that I took offense at a few things you said, and considered them very inappropriate. First your comment about more indians and not chiefs....I personally believe that the board is there to work for me (the homeowner). They are the voice of the association. Not the other way around. We (the association) are not the worker bees here to serve the board. The board is here to serve the homeowners and to act as their unified and representative voice not to decide whats best for us ignorant savages (indians). I think your analogy was inappropriate and offensive.

Further I considered your comment stating "...people getting all fired up, and want to change our whole subdivision, and after a while, kinda dwindle out." I can only assume this was intend as a snide jibe regarding my recently getting involved in this dialog, and was directed as me personally (as I don‘t see any other way it was relevant to the discussion at hand). I hope this will not devolve into a forum for personal attacks, insults, and personality disputes. I intend to address this personally with you in email as I don’t consider this the appropriate forum for such behavior.
ChadHammons
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok... let me try to address some of these points.

1) I didn't say the association needed worker bees. The board is not trying to be a dictatorship. We're trying to get stuff done. There is too much stuff to do. We're not looking for someone to dictate to; we're looking for someone to step up and help us out.

Realize that your comments are contradictory and kinda put me in difficult situation. You say you shook my hand and offered your help with any project. But then you say in the next paragraph that if I give you a task, you will view it as me assigning you a "worker bee" task.

The solution is for you (or anyone) to step up and volunteer to take on a task. I listed a bunch of them in my last post. Don't wait for work to be assigned (because it never will be, because that's not how this HOA works). Rather, come to us and say, Hey, I want to help out with _____ by doing _____. Then do it. pretty simple.

2) As far as taking offense to the rest of my statements... I really don't know what I said to offend you. You said a lot of stuff in your personal emails that were pretty much an attack on me based on assumptions you've made about me. My comments about people getting fired up and then dwindling was not about you. You are still here, asking questions, being involved. My comment was about people who really do get fired up and then dwindle out. As I said in my personal email to you, the perfect example is the mailbox committee three years ago. It was a very exciting prospect... for about a week. Then we never heard anything about it again.

I'm very sorry if you're looking for something to get offended about. I am really trying not to give you anything, but it appears I am failing.

I promise you that this is not personal. Very unfortunately, I don't know you that well. Being that I don't know you that well, I don't know how I could make anything personal?

I believe it is fair to ask that you also do not make this personal (here, or in the personal messages you've sent me). Please read my comments in context and with the mindset that I am not attacking or trying to offend anyone, here, including you.

I hope that helps.
Standridges

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your prompt replies. I am reassued that our concerns are being taken seriously by how diligently you seem to review and address the concerns in this forum.

in response...

1) I just wanted to clarify my assertion that the board is here to serve the homeowners, and not the homeowners to serve the board. I felt that your indians/chiefs comment was implicitly contradictary to that belief. If you and I agree on that point then perhaps we shouldn't get caught up in the semantics and focus instead on the message.

If I seemed contadictory, I didn't intend to be. I have been, and continue to be willing to assist the association in maintaining the standards and expectations that led us all to our decision to purchase in this subdivision.

As far as social planning, i would love to see this committee get very active, and to actually take the place of the board in organizing and implimenting these activities. I never meant to imply that these were not valuable or enjoyable activities, simply that I didn't think that this is or should be the intent of our HOA board.

As far as the speed limit changes. I am willing and able to shed some light on this issue from past experience. As a former mayor, my father has addressed this issue with the DOT and the city he resides in. My suspicion is that this is a matter already dead in the water, and that nothing can or will be done to change it. The standards for establishing speed limits are established by the state, but ultimately those are city roads, and thus the city can impose whatever limits they choose (withing certain limitations I believe, ex.. it cannot exceed a state maximum speed limit). In most instances the city simply adopts the state standards as their own. I believe that it was stated that an inquiry has already been made to the city regarding this issue. If the city is unwilling to set another standard, then there isn't much that can be done. Our only option at this point (as I see it) would be to continue calling, and writing letters to the city. If enough inquiries are made (or by enough people) then perhaps they will change their stance (the squeaky wheel gets the oil - sometimes). That is a long shot, and one not assured of success, but from what I understand it may be our only course of action. I am not sure what the purpose/intent of this committee is since it sounds like you have already checked into this issue, and I am probably not telling you anything you don't already know.

I don't think the posted limits will be changed, but I would like to see increased posting of the speed limit throughout our subdivision. I normally enter the subdivision on Patridge and take it all the way down to Mahogany Trail. Our mailbox is on Hillock. So these are the roads I drive most often in our subdivision. I can only recall seeing the limit posted once (near the subdivision entrance on Patridge). I think it is too close to the turn in, view partially obscured, and easily missed. I would love to see more signs put up if that is an option, and to see increased patrols/enforcement in the subdivision (perhaps this ties in with the next committee).

As far as the neighborhood watch, I don't have the first clue about how or what needs to be done to organize this sort of watch. In, the small town I came from a neighborhood watch meant we all had a busybody neighbor always looking out her window to see what we were doing. Once again, not knowing exactly what the goals/intent of this committee is, I can't voice an opinion as to how much assistance I could provide.

Regarding the mailboxes...From my experience, perhaps it is best that this matter died away. I have seen different individuals fight this fight with the USPS for over 20 years where I come from, and nothing has been accomplished. I am not sure that this is a goal that can be achieved, and maybe its best that our efforts are not being devoted to fuitless pursuits.

I am willing to assist with any of these, as well as any other issue the board chooses to solicit my assistance on.

2) Apparently we both percieved things personally that were not intended as such. That can happen sometimes when written text is the only form of communication. We cannot read the intent, nor the tone with which things are said, the way we can speaking in person. Speaking for myself, I would prefer to leave that issue behind us and continue forward with business.

My request would be that you all don't dismiss my views (or those of any other home owner) because you disagree with them. I may not be the only one who shares them, I may simply be the one willing to step up and voice them.
ChadHammons
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two quick replies...

in regards to 1)... I really think you have taken the indian/chief comment out of context and to a degree far beyond intended. I was simply using a cliche saying to emphasize the point that you do not have to be on the board of directors in order to be involved. You said having more board members would get more people involved, and I was simply replying that we don't need more people with titles; we need more people who are willing to help. I don't know how this was construed as the board needs more people to boss around. I'm sorry, but it was not at all what I intended.

2) We have never dismissed any of your views, and I agree that this discussion has gone about as far as it can in text. The board would like to meet with you, in person, to help clear up whatever other questions and misunderstandings you have. Please send me a message with the best contact email for you, and the board will be in touch to schedule a meeting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cypress Village HOA Forum Index -> Suggestions & Complaints All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: