Cypress Village HOA Forum Index Cypress Village HOA
A forum for our community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parking in the streets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cypress Village HOA Forum Index -> Suggestions & Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Standridges

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Parking in the streets Reply with quote

I was catching up and reading some back posts....because I haven't been on the site in a while. I noticed several recommendations that homeowners address the issue of parking with the City of Pearland Code Enforcement. I guess I do not understand why this is an issue for the city to address and hope that someone can clarify for me.

I know that parking in the street overnight is prohibited in the Deed Restrictions. I would think that enforcement of deed restriction violations would be up to the HOA, not the city. Does the city also have an ordinance against such a situation?

I guess this is just one of those things that really bothers me. You see the same cars parked on the curb day after day (often when their driveway is empty). In addition to restricting the flow of traffic on narrow residential streets, in my opinion it makes the streets look cluttered and the subdivision less visually appealing. I know that things happen. Sometimes the situation dictates that the car be on the street temporarily. These are not the situations I am referring to....I refer only to those that choose to treat the public street as an extention of their personal property.

Is LPI taking action to address habitual violators? Do they do evening drive by's to see which cars are parked on the street regularly?
Rob

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Cars in yhe street Reply with quote

James,

While parking in the street is technically a violation of the stated Deed Restrictions, it is not enforcable as is city property. LPI can do nothing about this nuissance. City code enforement will act on complaints. Example, just had one where the city sent a fleet of tow trucks to a residence and began taking vehicles away. The system does work, just not the way you think it supposed to.
ChadHammons
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cars in yhe street Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
James,

While parking in the street is technically a violation of the stated Deed Restrictions, it is not enforcable as is city property. LPI can do nothing about this nuissance. City code enforement will act on complaints. Example, just had one where the city sent a fleet of tow trucks to a residence and began taking vehicles away. The system does work, just not the way you think it supposed to.

I'm very curious why the current board chose to put an article in the newsletter telling residents that it is against city ordinances to park on the street. Being very very familiar with these ordinances, having been through this when I was on the board, I know that merely parking in the street is not a violation. There are many violations dealing with parking in the street, such as abandoned vehicles, commercial vehicles, and blocking access by emergency vehicles (such as the ambulance story mentioned), but just parking in the street is perfectly allowed if done within regulations.

Why did the board choose to make that general statement in the newsletter, at least without explaining the ordinances?
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Parking in the street Reply with quote

Chad,

I admit I am the author of the last newsletter. In hindsight, I could have done a little better job on that article. Also with the help of Anthony and references to existing court cases we will probably be moving forward on enforcing these kind of abused deed restrictions.
ChadHammons
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted on how it's going. I don't park in the street, but I'm of the opinion that people could legally do so, if they're not breaking city ordinances. I don't want to get fined just because I happened to move my car into the street right before our HOA did a drive through.

How could the HOA enforce no parking in the street for a vehicle that is not owned by a resident? If a strange car parks in front of my house, is the HOA going to try to fine me?

We looked into this a while back, and I'm just not understanding how the HOA could enforce that, given that the streets are city property.

Any information on those questions? I know they were some of the ones that fell into the favor of the resident last time we went around this issue.
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Parking in the streets Reply with quote

Chad,

We will keep you and the other residents advised. At this time (unitl we have this all sorted out) we are not taking any action.
ChadHammons
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of another scenario that the HOA might want to consider, too. What will the HOA do for work vehicles that are driven by residents but owned by a company and parked on the street. Not the commercial trucks, but regular-sized vans and trucks, so it doesn't fall under the city ordinances.

In a way, it's similar to the stranger parking on our streets, because the vehicle is not titled to any one who would be bound by a deed restriction. The resident does not own the truck, and the company can say they never agreed to be bound to a deed restriction.

No answer needed now, of course, but it is probably worth considering. We have a few vehicles that fall into this category that I pass on the street every day. It would be a sticky situation to try to fine/sue one homeowner for parking on the street, but not his neighbor for doing the same thing, you know?
meilton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just had a situation where a resident that lives down the street parked her car at the dead end of Mahogany Trail and De Lyn Lane. I guess the resident thought it was ok since it's a dead end street that nobody drives through. This car just showed up one day, and for over 2 weeks I saw it there, day and night. Today, the owner of the car shows up and confronts us because the police called her about it? (We did not even call anybody) Keep in mind she parked her car in the street several houses down from her own house next to someone else's property.

Come on guys. I don't really have an issue with parking cars in the street. We don't all have sufficient space in our driveways or garages to park our cars, so maybe we park our cars in the street directly in front of our respective houses (we all kinda feel that we "own" that piece of the street in front of our houses right?)

But really, parking your car several houses down in front of someone else's yard? The funny thing is this person actually told us she has a right to park there because she has lived in the community longer than us (LOL!)

Even when laws and restrictions do not say what is or is not right to do, common sense and common consideration should dictate.
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Parking in the streets Reply with quote

Oh boy. The city ordinances and deed restrictions state that you should not park in the street (there are exceptions and time limits). That home owner was way out of line. I myself have problem with a person who parks right in front of my house while visiting a house that is across the street and two houses down. Unfornutantely common sense is not common.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cypress Village HOA Forum Index -> Suggestions & Complaints All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: