Cypress Village HOA Forum Index Cypress Village HOA
A forum for our community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current fence design causes problems in high winds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cypress Village HOA Forum Index -> Suggestions & Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dblatt17

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Current fence design causes problems in high winds Reply with quote

We moved in 2 years ago and our fence is a mess. After Ike, when many of us lost sections of our fences, I am constantly having to repair it whenever there is a wind.

The current design has the pickets too close together (on one side). The posts also weren't installed properly; too shallow and not enough concrete used. This is the fault of the builders. (ours was Brighton).

When we lived in Orlando, we had the eyes of 3 force 1 hurricanes come within miles of our house. Our fence was a decade old and still stool perfectly. The difference was that the pickets were staggered on both sides of the fence with about half a picket-width gap between them on either side. The gaps allowed the wind to pass through and it didn't act like a sail (like our current one does).

I would like to change our fence to use the staggered pickets on both sides style but it wouldn't be the same as everyone else. We are currently looking to have our fence replaced. Please allow us to change the style so that we don't have replace it again every time we have a thunderstorm.

I want someone to call me.

Also we need to have a list of the officers on this forum and the website with their addresses and phone numbers posted in case we need to contact them.

-Douglas Blatt
832-295-4995 (home)
407-340-3125 (cell)
dblatt17@yahoo.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Fences Reply with quote

We request that you complete the Architecural Committee Request Form for your intended Fence re-design. You can find this form on the forum under "HOA Documents".

We will be posting soon all HOA Board of Directors contact information as well as reporting HCMS Management Company contact info.
ChadHammons
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely feel your pain. I completely rebuilt my fence after IKE and used a full bag and a half of concrete with 4x4's 2 feet in the ground and 3 rails, etc etc... and yet my fence still blew apart in the storm a couple of days ago.

I don't think it's the fence design, though. I think a lot of it is the soil. My posts, even being 2 feet down with that much concrete still move around a LOT when the wind blows, and that enables the nails on the rails to come loose, and from there, the whole thing just blows apart.

Unfortunately, where I am (Hillock), there's just nothing to stop the wind. I think the only way to save fences from the wind would be go to a chain link fence. Also unfortunately, the deed restrictions are pretty specific with the fences, so that's not an option.

anyway, I think a lot of us are feeling the fence pain these days.
dblatt17

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad,

You actually are arguing my point. You are saying that the chain link fence design would help in the wind. The reason why that would do so is because the wind can go through it. Check it out on the web. The shadow box design actually does the same thing, but also provides privacy.

Our fence repair person is recommending what Qwikrete recommends which is sinking the posts as much as 3 feet down with at least a bag of cement (80 lbs). Actually our fence guy is saying he will put 120 lbs down there for each post. If the posts don't move and the fence allows the wind to pass through (somewhat) then the fence won't come down in a storm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ChadHammons
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe arguing in a general sense, but really, it's completely different. The amount of drag or wind force from a 1/8" wire is a lot less compared to that of a 4" wide plank of wood.

In a light wind, the box fence, or alternating plank fence idea might save some force, but in high winds, the wind is still going to have to stop and make a 90 deg turn to get through the planks, and all of that force is going to be directed at the fence, regardless of which side of the rail the picket is on.

Good example... Got a friend who lives off of bailey whose subdivision does the alternating picket fence thing. In that last storm (what, a week ago?), two sections of his fence blew down completely. I lost a couple of pickets, and have a leaning section, now. It doesn't mean that one design is better than the other... They're both gonna blow down if the right wind hits.

Think about it in terms of % surface area... Unless we use something that has far less surface area facing the wind, it won't matter. Chain link or wrought-iron would reduce the surface area, but it would eliminate privacy, and be against the deed restrictions for our subdivision.

By the way, my friend with the alternating picket fence put his posts 4' down with 2 bags per hole. Didn't help. our soil just sucks around here.
ChadHammons
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw... it sounds like you might have someone getting ready to do the work, already... If it's going back like original, that's fine, but if you were going to try for the alternating picket design, I might wait on that...

The ACC process can take up to 30 days, so don't forget to account for some time there (usually doesn't take a full 30 days to complete that process).

plus, personally, I'm not sure how well it fits in with everything around it, and it would definitely be frustrating to put it up, only to have the ACC tell you to tear it back down, again.
Standridges

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been keeping up with this dialog....and it raised a question in my mind....who makes up our Architectural Committee? Is this appointed by the board of the HOA?
ChadHammons
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, it is the board of directors. There has been a discussion about moving this to a committee appointed by the board, but really, we only get one of these every couple of months, so the board has just been taking care of them.
dblatt17

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are having our fence rebuilt the old way. I would have loved to get it rebuilt with the shadowbox design but realize I didn't ask the committee early enough or with the proper forms. I just wanted to put a bug in someone's ear that this design that we currently have is not good.

Oh, as I mentioned before, even though it doesn't have the same qualities for letting the wind go through it as a chain link fence would, our shadowbox fence in Orlando did just fine when the eyes of 3 named storms' (still at force 1 or higher category) passed within just a few miles of our house. Our fence there shook but did not get blown down. The gaps were large enough to let enough of the wind go through and not knock it down. People had a lot of damage after the storms there, but it was mostly shingles, windows, and trees, not fences. Here, nearly everyone lost their fence.
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Fences Reply with quote

Thank you for your posts. The board will take these suggestions under advisement. I also am tired of rebuilding my fence.
latishaodell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thank you for posting this concern. We had our fence rebuilt only to have the storm in July ruin it as well as the one that occurred recently. Sad UGH!
thebishop29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to bring an old post back to life, regarding fence design, I've been getting quotes as I would like to rebuild my fence this summer and every company has stated that our 'good neighbor' fence design costs slightly more than a normal one sided fence. Would something like a general 6ft cedar one sided fence with a 2x12 baseboard be something I would need to get approval on from the board?
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Fences Reply with quote

The deed restirctions state that the fences must be uniform. I myself read this as asteticly (SP?). If your fence looks like all the others from a public view point, then the design can be varried on your yard side. All improvements should go through the HOA just to be safe and to be sure you have no problems down the line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cypress Village HOA Forum Index -> Suggestions & Complaints All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: