Cypress Village HOA Forum Index Cypress Village HOA
A forum for our community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHY DO WE PAY HOA FEES?? CYPRESS VILLAGE II IS A DISASTER!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cypress Village HOA Forum Index -> Suggestions & Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EDB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: WHY DO WE PAY HOA FEES?? CYPRESS VILLAGE II IS A DISASTER!!! Reply with quote

I have lived in Cypress Village II for over 2 years now. We had our house built and everything, but since we have moved in we have seen this neighborhood go down hill very rapidly!! I have called an complained to the HOA numerous time about all the trashy things that are going on and nothing has ever been done. They just claim to have sent a letter to the people in violation. well over 2 years later and the neighborhood hasnt changed!!!! The HOA claims that they periodically drive by and check out the neighborhood, but yet when you call to complain they want YOU to give them the address of the house thats in violation. Well in my opinion if you "drive by" like you claim wouldnt you notice the poorly maintain houses and yards????!?!!? They are however very quick to take our HOA money ever year and granted its not much, but its defiantly more than we should be paying considering NOTHING is done to enforce the poorly maintained homes and yards in Cypress Village II. I think that money goes to paying our HOA internet access so they can pay soliatare online cause they surely arent doing there job!! For example there is a house on Larrycrest that has...get this A BIG OLD BLACK WASH MACHINE ON THEIR FRONT PORCH!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe that...and its been there for TWO YEARS!!!!! 2 YEARS!!!!!!!! The house infront of me has 2 two 3-wheelers, oil pan, water hoses, a trash can, etc all in the front drive way......FOR OVER 2 years!!!!!!! they dont even park their cars in the drive way....a two car driveway and a 2 car garage..NOPE they park them in the street and in front of their house so when I back my car our of MY GARAGE where its suppose to be I have to make sure I dont back into there car!!! Also has anyone ever payed attention to the landscaping at the entry of Cypress Village II????? It is so raggidy and unmaintained. the trees are all leaning over from IKE...once again that was over a year ago....COULD the HOA PLEASE FIX THEM AND THE POOR LANDSCAPING??? I have given this neighborhood over 2 years to improve and they just keep claiming they have new management that will straighten everything up.....yea right!!! We are considering moving out of here because everyday that passes this neighboorhood is becoming more like the projects and we pay to much money for our houses to live like this. We have a family to raise and Cypress Village II doesnt look like the place for us....it looks more like a run down trailer park!!! Anyone out there agree with me or am I the only one?!?!?!?
Jennifer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not agree with this more. I posted back in November 2009 about this washer or dryer on the porch and the trailer in the driveway and nothing has been done. It is still there. I agree, we haven't been satisfied with the subdivision and the upkeep.
EDB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you...I am glad I am not the only one. I just really wish something would be done asap. My sister lives in West Oaks right next to us and the HOA is on the ball. They get things resolved quick. When my sister comes to visit us is so embarrassing that I have to try to explain why we have people with trailers in the front yard and A WASH MACHINE!!!! so embarrassing that you pass 6 figures for a home for 15 or 30 years and this is what you get.
ChadHammons
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's difficult when you don't really see what's happening behind the scenes. I drive by the exact same things every single day.

However!

Action IS being taken. I cannot tell you what, because it would be in appropriate. I can't tell you what actions are being taken against each homeowner who is in violation of any deed restrictions, the same way that it would be inappropriate for me to discuss with anyone else if we ever took any action against you, etc.

The blue tarp trailer, and the washing machine, and the three wheelers, and commercial vehicles, and just about everything you mentioned are deed restriction violations that are being addressed. (The one exception is people parking in front of your house, which is an issue that has to be addressed by the City). Trust me, I see everything you see, and even more so, as I realize everything that we ARE doing to try to correct the situation. What's even more frustrating is that I KNOW what we have ALREADY done, and I still see how stubborn certain homeowners are being when fighting us or refusing to correct the problem.

Trees... did you see Rob's post about trees in the announcement section? We actually have our bids back on that and you should see the work commence in the next couple of weeks. Maybe you should check out those posts. It has been a thorn in our side since Ike. It's being taken care of.

As for landscaping... We have been trying to correct that problem for over a year now. Now that we have a different management company (as of November), we're actually going through the bid process to get it fixed. Entry ways, drainage ditch maintence, sprinkler system repair, entrance lighting... you name it, and we're on it. Unfortunately, going through a proper bid process takes time. Our previous management company sole sourced projects to their "partners" and made some serious profit off of our HOA. We're trying to save us money!

Which, by the way, I have to address internet access, as you say... The HOA does not pay a penny, not a single cent, for this website or its hosting. It is donated by a homeowner (i.e. me!). I donated this space and page before I was on the board, and I will continue to do so. You're not paying for it, but it seems to be very effective, as you have found a place to voice your compliants, and my reply shows that we're aware of all of it.

I have no intent of pointing fingers, but West Oaks has their problems, too. We've talked to their HOA company, and we're aware of their situations, too. Amazingly, we have many issues in common. I think this is just an example of greener grass, etc.

If you do want to speak with someone who can bring you up to speed on where we stand on each issue, please feel free to call LPI, our new management company. Also, please please please call them with any complaints you have. They are the ones who are the most on top of deed restriction violations and the actions that we're taking. They also are human and may miss things on inspections, so please call them and point it out. They won't miss it after that.

The only other thing I can suggest is ask us before you assume that nothing's being done. The board has made some serious progress in the last 3-4 months since we switch management companies. We're much more in control of the HOA and where it's headed. It takes time, but we're finally moving. Momentum is slow to build, but you're going to see things happen, finally. We're actually excited about it, and hopefully you will be, too.
EDB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to hear someone address it and I understand it takes time.....but 2 years is unexceptable! sorry thats just my opinion and you have to understand We the Neighboorhood of Cypress Village II have called and complained over the phone and on here but to no success. I am not trying to be rude to anyone its just very furstrating to drive by this trash everyday to and from work and then send that mortgage check off every month knowing the condition of your neighborhood.

Also about the Internet...I think you misread what I wrote. I think thats very generous of you to donate this site for us to communicate and voice or concerns, however I said that we are paying our HOA to play on the internet because we dont see anything being done!

I have read the posts about the trees and landscaping, but it said they werent doing anything because of the "Drought"......its rained for 3 months straight almost every week! I understand the bids and all but seriously I can go to home depot and spend about $200 and fix that landscaping myself in about 3 hours......

Well thanks for you time and once again Ill will take your word and wait to see what happens....hopefully it wont be another 2 years!!

thanks!!!
ChadHammons
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realize that we don't get paid anything, right? Smile Your HOA board are volunteers. and "We the Neighborhood of Cypress Village" includes me, and your other board members, too!!

I hope you don't view it as a you vs me, or an us vs them situation. I live in the subdivision, too, and all of the negative things that you have to deal with, I also have to deal with. Like I said, even more so.

I know it's easy to throw out two years, but most of the stuff that you have been mentioning have only really been a problem in the past six-nine months. Should it have been fixed in the past nine months? absolutely. Have we been dealing with it since it started? Absolutely.

The landscaping saga is long and complicated. We actually created an action to get the landscaping redone as part of our Ike recovery. That was decided about six months after Ike, when we actually found out from the Insurance what was covered. We were still with HCMS, then. The way it works is that we make a request to the management company to get bids. That whole process was screwed up. At one point, yes, we were waiting for better conditions. Then we had the bid fiasco. We did actually attempt to hire a company to fix it, but they never showed up. (don't worry, they also did not get a penny of our money for the work).

LPI took over in November, and it really took them about six weeks to get a full handover of all of our material from HCMS. We hit LPI with a list of about 17 action items, and they're still working through them. Right now, we're in the bid process for landscaping (long term and short term), lighting, and a few other things.

Here's a question for you... how mad would you have been if we had spent a couple of thousand dollars on flowers and new plants, and then have had them be frozen in the past couple of weeks? I'm actually of the opinion that as bad as it looks, I'd rather wait until mid-late March at the earliest to overhaul the beds. It means spending less money replacing plants. What do you think? Right now, our dues are relatively low. Would you pay more in dues to have prettier entry ways? (Actually, anyone who wants to comment, feel free. I mean, we're supposed to be representing everyone, so maybe my opinion that we should save money is different than everyone else's?)

As far as spending $200 to fix the landscaping... well... I wish it were that cheap. If you happened to be licensed and bonded in Texas, I'd say submit us a bid for that. Smile Keep in mind that we're talking about overhauling nine beds, each bigger than your typical house's bed. ...and a sprinkler system that has to be repaired. It's expensive enough that we have to bid it to get the best price.

I know it's frustrating, but give us a couple of weeks. You're gonna start seeing the things that we have been trying to get done for as long as I've been part of the HOA.
EDB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am very aware that you and the board are volunteers and I respect that because I too am a volunteer in multiple functions in the city of Pearland. I do understand and know the time and effort that goes into volunteering and you dont get much credit for the work you do. I dont feel like it is "me VS you" etc...

As far as me saying things have been going on for 2 years that is 100% true. I didnt just drive by the houses that are in violation one time and fly off the handle. The trailer for example has been there well over 2 years. That trailer was there when I first picked out my lot and I was assured by my sales man that the HOA was on the ball and that trailer would be gone before they broke ground on my house. Well gues what..Ive lived here over 2 years and Im still here complaining about that trailer!

Now you asked if I would be willing to pay more for a prettier entry way??? was that a serious question! I wouldnt be willing to pay our HOA one penny more than what we are currently paying because I havent seen any improvements, actions, or any results what so ever on anything I have voiced my concern on. I dont think anyone is profiting off the $200 we pay, but for the life of me cant figure out what it goes to...no clue because its not for landscaping, its not for enforcing the homes that arent in complaince. Maybe if we did have a prettier entry way, lighting, enforcement of deed violators, and nicer lighting....yea I would be willing to pay more.

When I mentioned West Oaks you responded with they have issues as well...I am speaking about the newer part of West Oaks...West Oaks Village. I am not trying to argue, but my sister has had some complaints in her neighborhood and she voiced her concerns and the problem was resolved in less than 30 days. Thats respectable! You can drive through there on any given day and you will find a nice entry and lighting to the neighborhood as well as no TRAILERS and no WASH Machines, etc. Yes they do pay twice as much as we do, but if I could have an issue resolved in 30 days...sign me up..Id pay it to live in a nicer community!!

I know you said the entry and lights, etc are being addresses, but I see things that could be done that dont cost anything...its just simple maintance. For example the landscaping rocks...could we not pick them up and get them off the street. I feel like stopping my car and doing it myself.......maybe I should, then it would be resolved promptly...what do you think?? The trees leaning over....hmm...after Ike a lot of our trees were leaning over including mine. I went outside and pulled the post up, recentered the tress and placed the supporting pole back into the ground...total time...10 minutes....cost FREE. The landscaping rocks to be picked up and placed neatly around the flower bed....total time...10 minutes...cost FREE....simple maintance thats all.

You mentioned how mad would I be if we paid over $1000 for new plants and then they died because of the freeze. wow I am sorry but the plants we have up there even when they where first done dont look like over $1000 dollars to me....mulch, rocks, etc....I just dont see that. I didnt go to college to major in landscaping, but I do however spend a lot of time and money in my own yard and I am very knowledable with the cost of plants, flowers, landscaping rocks, etc. When there is a freeze I cover my plants with sheets or a tarp. I am assuming that this cant be done in our entry way right...other neighborhoods do that to protect their investments, but that would just be more work. Let me ask this...what are we gonna do a year from now when there is another freeze?

I really am not trying to pick the board and HOA apart...honestly....I am just a concerned resident in Cypress Village II that is very disappointed in the neighborhood. I spend a lot of time making sure my house is maintained and up to the deed codes. Unfortunatly I understand this isnt a perfect world and their are people out there that could care less about their home and their yard and have no respect for their neighbors and thats sad. We moved into a deed restricted neighborhood in hopes of not having to deal with people like that. No one wants to live next to the house that is painted neon green with the pink flamingos on their front yard. I just wish there was a better system for violators!!

I sincerely feel that people see other people that have trailers, 3 wheelers, and wash machines in their front yard and see that they still are in violation after months and years and they loose respect for the HOA and their ability to enforce things. For example just today I drove through the neighborhood and now there are several houses with trailers parked on the street. These houses have a big white RV and a 10ft Trailer parked infront of the house on the street.

3706 Inland
3710 Inland
3708 Inland

There are still many more.......

I am just curious since I am not an attorney, but what in the process for a home in violation??? I mean it really shouldnt take longer than 30 days to have a home back in complaince....thats just my opinion. I understand the HOA says they are aware of the houses in violations and have addressed them as much as they can, but the problems are still there....if the system is broke what can we do to fix it?????

thanks for you time.....I will take your word and see what the next few weeks will bring and hopefully see some changes.
ChadHammons
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see if I can answer some more questions...

First, let me address the time to fix a deed restriction. The biggest difference between fixing a violation in 30 days and fixing a violation in 6 months: the person receiving the letters. There are a countless number of deed restriction violation letters sent out every month. Almost all of them are immediately corrected. That's a good thing. It says that the very large majority of the subdivision cares about all the same things you do, and are trying their best to stay within our large list of restrictions. However... let's say you had a homeowner who was more willing to take a $100 fine every month than pay for a lot to park his boat. What then? Some of the penalties and attorney's fees that we're talking about are far FAR more than $100/month (think thousands, here), but some people would rather fight it than just do the simple thing and fix the problem.

The foreclosure process is a last resort for the HOA, and actually ends up being very expensive for the HOA. It's also a long process that would take months to completely, and can only be started after every other option is exhausted, per our process. That is not to say that we won't foreclose. We can/have/will, but it's not the first option. Preferably, the problem can be resolved before that point, though.

Let me also add that the board is a lot more involved in the process now than with our previous management company. That's this board and all that follow. Previously, we just got a report saying everything was being handled. Now, we're actively deciding what directions to take in the cases where corrections are not made in a timely manner. That's partly the board's fault, and hopefully, we'll not revert to that.

As far as the entryways vs paying more... there is a chicken & egg problem here. People want everything to be nicer, but don't want to pay more because it isn't already nice.

I don't think you have a really great feel for how much it costs to get things done, when you add in all the requirements for contractors. I also am not sure you're realizing the scope of work. For example, each flower bed is not $1000. We have 9 beds. Let's say our new budget has $3000 set aside to maintain them. Ok, we're down to $333/bed. Now, if we rotated the color seasonally, like we really want to, we're down to $83/bed/season. One flat of seasonal flowers is $27 (I'm looking at one of our bids, here), and we typically use many flats per bed. We've already used up our $83, and we haven't even got to labor costs, which for a licensed, bonded contractor (like we're required to have), the costs are a lot more than your typical homeowner pays to have someone redo their flower bed.

We usually don't post financial things on the website, but if you'd like, I can send you an example of one of the bids we received for this exact work. (I emailed you, so you should have my email, so email me if you'd like it). It is an incomplete bid, so it didn't qualify for selection, so I don't mind sharing it, even though we haven't got the work done yet. They forgot the two beds at Harkey & Patridge. Even so, the bid is for $4,246.50. That's for 7 of the 9 beds we have. And that's just for a one time overhaul! That's not for a yearly contract.

As for fixing things yourself, please do! I have before when I've seen a rock get completely knocked into the street. Before I was on the board, I agreed with a community work day to get stuff done, but it was not a popular idea. I remember in one discussion about the cost of force mowing someone's yard that maybe a neighbor could just cut it for them, and I was almost yelled out of the room. At least one person actually got very mad at the idea. Not everyone is willing to do work that they believe someone else should do for them.

I know this reply is already long, but let me try to touch on the deed restriction process, or at least part of it.
For each violation:
a letter is sent. Homeowner has 30 days to respond
a second letter is sent. Homeowner has another 30 days to respond
final HOA letter is sent. Homeowner has 30 days to correct the problem
If, after 90 days from the first letter, the problem still exists, they are turned over to our attorney. This is when it starts to get very expensive. Where it goes from here depends on the violation, but for as long as the violation exists and the attorneys are involved, the costs skyrocket. If it continues, it usually goes to court, and there is some judgement against them. Even past this point, people can still be in violation. The last step would be foreclosure, but again, that takes even more time.

Anthony Robinson, who is on the board of directors, best understands the legal complications, if you happen to know him. If not, please call LPI and ask them to walk you through the process.

Again, please remember that no issue would have to go on any longer than necessary, if the homeowner involved corrects the problem.

I hope that helps, and if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.
EDB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I really apprecaite your time and I feel a lot more informed. You seem to be creditable and like there will be some changes soon. I appreciate that! I know you and the board are volunteers and work hard and its easy to complain when your on the outside looking in. I acknowledge that. Maybe you should run for President..lol.....Well good Luck and if their is anything I can do please let me know. Thanks again for your time and I look forward to seeing some major changes!!
ChadHammons
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, we're trying. Smile Hopefully, you already noticed that the dead trees in front of section II have been removed. We're slated to have the other trees moved to the park whenever the weather cooperates.
latishaodell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDB,
I am also a homeowner in CPV II and feel like we're living in the projects. It's very unfortunate. We've lived here for 4 years now.

I just wanted to let you know that I've been in the annual meetings with Chad and the other Board members. They do work hard and are creditable. Unfortunately the system we have to follow is costly and time consuming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cypress Village HOA Forum Index -> Suggestions & Complaints All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: